Knowing you want to use essential oils to enhance your health and wellbeing is one thing. Knowing which essential oils you would benefit from is another. dōTERRA’s 10 most popular oils and oil blends are a great place to start.
dōTERRA’s top 10 essential oils
The lavender fields of Provence are where my love-affair with essential oils began! I was a cash-strapped backpacker but knew I needed to get my hands on the “Queen of oils”. Lavender is an excellent all-rounder which:
• promotes relaxation and restful sleep
• helps soothe muscular aches and pains
• helps relieve neck and head tension
• soothes skin irritations and insect bites.
Peppermint is unique because it is an adaptogen which helps bring the body back to homeostasis. Depending on what your body needs it can have a relaxing or stimulating effect. Peppermint oil helps:
• cool and refresh the body
• boost energy and increase mental alertness (especially when combined with Wild Orange!)
• support healthy respiratory function and clear breathing
• ease neck and head tension
• enhance digestive health and alleviate occasional digestive issues such as nausea, bloating, gas and indigestion
• freshen the breath.
Uplifting and cleansing, lemon can be used to:
• increase focus and alertness
• boost mood
• soothe an irritated throat
• nourish, cleanse and alkalise the whole body
• clean household surfaces (hello shiny, streak-free stainless steel appliances!).
#4 Tea Tree / Melaleuca
It’s powerful antiseptic and antibacterial qualities make this another great oil for disinfecting and cleaning. For example:
• Add to shampoo to nourish the scalp.
• Place a couple of drops on a cleaning cloth before wiping down surfaces or combine with castille soap and water to make a multipurpose cleaning spray.
• Use with lavender for bites, stings and scrapes.
• Use a cotton ball to dab directly onto blemishes.
• Apply to a cotton ball to soothe ear discomfort (never place oil directly into the ear canal).
This oil can be used in cooking but it has so many other uses. Oregano also:
• supports immune and digestive system health
• improves the health of your toenails and feet
• helps get rid of warts.
The “King of Oils”. Like Lavender it’s a great all-rounder and is particularly good for:
• nourishing the blood, brain and skin
• supporting healthy immune function
• reducing inflammation
• easing general aches and pains.
When in doubt, get FRANK out!
#7 Easy Air (AU) / Breathe (US)
This blend of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial oils such as Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemon and Peppermint promotes healthy respiratory function and easy breathing.
Place it in a diffuser or vaporiser or simply inhale directly from the bottle. As a yoga teacher this is one of my favourite oils to use during class. Also available in a vapour stick and vapour drops.
#8 Digest Zen
This blend helps ease digestive discomfort associated with nausea, bloating, gas and indigestion.
Dilute a couple of drops with carrier oil and massage into the stomach in a clockwise motion or put a couple of drops in your water bottle and sip throughout the day.
#9 On Guard
Containing oils such as Clove, Cinnamon and Wild Orange, dōTERRA’s protective blend reminds me of Christmas in Canada and England. More importantly, these oils support the immune system and suggested uses include:
• diffusing to kill airborne threats
• rubbing over hands for a natural, alcohol free hand sanitiser
• combining with water for a natural mouth wash.
A range of On Guard products are also available, including cleaning concentrate, hand wash, throat drops and toothpaste.
#10 Ice Blue (AU) / Deep Blue (US)
Containing Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile and Osmanthus, dōTERRA’s athletic blend soothes muscles and joints, making it a natural alternative to Tiger Balm or Deep Heat.
Available as a pure essential oil blend or an easy-to-use cream.
Containing almost an entire bottle of Ice Blue essential oil blend, the athletic rub is potent and a little goes a long way. Between the two of us, we’ve tried a huge range of (chemical and natural) gels, sprays and creams. This is the clear winner!