I turned 40 today and I can’t fathom how I got here (aside from the obvious passage of time). I’m not in denial… it’s just that 40 makes no sense to me.
I don’t feel 40.
I don’t look 40.
I don’t act 40.
The older I get, the more I understand the saying ‘age is just a number’. I’m happy to be 40 but I don’t see it as a determining factor in what I can achieve. Here are 40 things I’ve learned about myself and the world around me along the way.
1. Curiousity is a wonderful trait and one of my highest values
2. There IS such a thing as too much curiosity. Just ask my mother… I was a VERY curious child
3. Trust your gut. It always tells the truth.
4. First impressions aren’t always accurate
5. Pretty people are only pretty if the inside matches the outside
6. Education is a gift and knowledge is a superpower
7. The bullying was never about you
8. Friends will come and go. Don’t cling to friendships that no longer serve you.
9. You teach people how to treat you
10. Fast fashion is rarely worth it
11. You get to say no
12. Money spent on books and travel is never wasted (thanks Dad!)
13. Buy high-quality knives and sharpen them regularly
14. Do not use box dye from the supermarket
15. The first glass of wine always tastes the best
16. You CAN give up coffee. Your life won’t end.
17. You will never regret a good night’s sleep
18. You are not your thoughts
19. It’s ok to question authority, including doctors, politicians and teachers
20. You do not need to have children… no matter what society tells you
21. When it comes to love, throw away ‘the list’. None of that $hit matters.
22. Good activewear WILL boost your confidence and performance in the gym
23. Ancient cultures knew what they were talking about when they espoused the therapeutic qualities of water.
24. Lift heavy $hit. It will make you feel like Wonder Woman!
25. Your parents did their best with what they knew
26. Everyone should go to therapy
27. It’s never too late to change course or try something new
28. Don’t mistake white space for availability
29. You deserve to take up space
30. People don’t think about you as much as you think they do
31. Fear and excitement are one and the same
32. Be you. Everyone else is taken.
33. We are more similar than we are different
34. Beauty and intelligence are not mutually exclusive
35. Life is too short for uncomfortable shoes or underwear
36. Growing old is a privilege. Embrace your greys with pride.
37. Bright lipstick will always lift your mood
38. Dogs are better than cats
39. You don’t have to do something just because it’s always been done that way
40. Assume good intent